Daily worlds news

Is the number one online media site in USA managed dailyworldsnews Digital Online

Scotland v England LIVE rugby stream: Six Nations 2024 build-up and updates from Calcutta Cup

Six Nations: Full Contact trailer

Scotland play host to the latest edition of the Calcutta Cup when they welcome England to Murrayfield this afternoon in what should be an even and entertaining Six Nations clash.

Gregor Townsend’s side have been inconsistent through their opening two matches so far. They stormed to 27-0 lead against a youthful Wales team in Cardiff only to cling on for a narrow one-point victory. Last time out they were controversially beaten 20-16 by France when they were denied a dramatic last-gasp winning try and will want to rectify that defeat with a showstopping victory over England.

Steve Borthwick has a job on his hands to mastermind a win for his side who have been second-best in this fixture across three of the previous four outings but a solid start to the championship has given them some momentum. Two wins from their two matches, against Italy and Wales, has set a foundation for an unlikely grand slam but England will know they need to vastly improve against the Scots to beat them in their own backyard.

Follow all the action from Murrayfield below plus get the latest Calcutta Cup odds and tips right here:

1708775400

Finn Russell relaxed about facing England’s blitz defence

Scotland talisman Finn Russell is unfazed by the prospect of being targeted by England’s new blitz defence in Saturday’s Calcutta Cup showdown at Murrayfield.

The Red Rose have adopted a more aggressive approach for this year’s Guinness Six Nations after highly-regarded defence coach Felix Jones joined Steve Borthwick’s backroom team in the wake of helping South Africa win the World Cup.

England are expected to try to swarm stand-off Russell and his midfield colleagues in an effort to neutralise Scotland, but the 31-year-old has no issue with the possibility of being singled out.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 11:50

1708774620

Scotland vs England talking points:

Another missed chance for Gregor Townsend’s side?

Gregor Townsend admitted that the history and emotion of a clash with England made it Scotland’s “most important game of the season”, but the head coach also knows that settling old scores is only part of the bigger picture.

A golden generation in the nation’s rugby history, epitomised by their fly-half genius Finn Russell, is in danger of passing without winning any silverware and after the injustice of seeing a late match-winning try disallowed against France in round two, they can not afford any more slip ups.

Time is running out for Russell’s Scotland to prove they are a serious team.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 11:37

1708774140

Scotland vs England talking points:

George Furbank’s second coming

Steve Borthwick is capable of throwing curve balls in selection – think Marcus Smith at full-back, Alex Mitchell starting at scrum-half at the World Cup – and the latest example is George Furbank’s return at full-back.

Freddie Steward controls the air against any opposition but Borthwick has cast aside England’s safety blanket in favour of a more natural ball player who will provide a counter-attacking threat and greater mobility in defence.

Promoting Furbank is a bold call and even if the six caps won between 2020 to 2022 failed to provide compelling evidence of his Test pedigree, he is an exciting pick who has been on fire for Northampton this season.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 11:29

1708773480

New dad Kyle Steyn keen to keep Calcutta Cup in Scotland’s hands

New father Kyle Steyn is intent on helping Scotland maintain their recent ownership of the Calcutta Cup this weekend after watching helplessly from his couch as his team-mates suffered an agonising Guinness Six Nations defeat against France last time out.

The Glasgow wing was named in the starting XV for the Murrayfield showdown with Les Bleus a week past Saturday, but he had to withdraw on the morning of the game after his wife Ally went into labour late on the Friday afternoon.

Steyn’s daughter, Arabella, eventually arrived via Caesarean section late on Monday morning, almost two days after the 20-16 defeat by France in which the Scots were controversially denied victory after the officials decided against awarding them a late try when Sam Skinner thought he had grounded the ball on the whitewash.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 11:18

1708772640

Earl on pressure matches and facing Scotland

England’s Ben Earl says you have to love the pressure and intensity of test match rugby and what it takes to be successful against strong teams like Scotland.

“You have to love it. If you don’t love it, then you’re playing the wrong sport at the wrong level. I absolutely love it.” he said, “We’ve certainly spoken about the kind of Scotland are, what a good team they are, how good they are at home.

“It’s a tough place to play and we’ve definitely touched upon the trend of results over the last three or four years.

“But in terms of motivating factors, that’s one of many that we’ve got. We know the journey that we’re on as a team, in terms of what we’re trying to grow and evolve into. And that’s as much of a motivating factor as playing those guys.”

Mike Jones24 February 2024 11:04

1708771980

England equipped to deal with ‘anything that’s thrown at us’

England are confident they have the composure to cope with any mind games played by Scotland in Saturday’s Calcutta Cup clash.

“There’s a resilience in us, for sure,” said Earl, who is set to continue in the back row when Steve Borthwick names his team on Thursday afternoon.

“There is a good group of experienced players in this team now – Jamie (George), George Ford, Joe Marler, Dan Cole, Ellis Genge. Those guys are all different characters, but they’ve seen all the curve balls in the past.

“And then you’ve also got a group of lads who might not have played a load of Test rugby but who have played a lot of club rugby in some great games and in some great stadiums.

“So I’d say the group, in terms of expectation, is probably as prepared as any to deal with anything that’s thrown at us.”

Mike Jones24 February 2024 10:53

1708771260

Danny Care is not done yet – England’s great survivor on Scotland and newfound ‘freedom’

The shadows may be lengthening for Danny Care as he dances in his international twilight but the scrum-half has lost little of his trademark spark.

With a cheery grin and a wry comment or three, he bounces into a room at England’s Pennyhill Park training base, fresh off the training paddock. “Fancy this,” Care quips, looking out on the dipping afternoon sun and back on a career on which it seemed to have twice set.

With Alex Mitchell injured, there’s every chance of a start against Scotland on Saturday that will be his first in the Six Nations for six years. It will be a 99th England cap in total – and the crepuscular Care isn’t done yet.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 10:41

1708770600

Danny Care on Scotland and newfound ‘freedom’

“I never gave up on playing for England for the opportunities to play in games like this,” he says of a fixture which England have won only once in six years. “It doesn’t get much bigger than the Calcutta Cup up in Murrayfield, whether it is your first time out there or, for me, your 99th time playing for England.

“It is never easy up there, they make everything difficult from the bus ride in, with the bagpipes to slow you down to make you walk a bit further, but I love it. I love stepping off the bus there and hearing the passion their supporters have and what it means to them. I am dying to get up there and experience that, probably for the last time.”

Mike Jones24 February 2024 10:30

1708769820

England and Scotland face fork in the road with Calcutta Cup set to define their Six Nations

“There’s certainly going to be some niggle,” predicted Kevin Sinfield, a smile spreading almost involuntarily across his face. England’s assistant coach may not be as versed in the Calcutta Cup rivalry as some on Steve Borthwick’s staff, but the ex-rugby league star has learned quickly what this fixture means, a tussle of thistle and rose so often appropriately thorny.

“When you’ve got two angry, nasty forward packs wanting to go at each other, there’ll be some niggle,” Sinfield expanded. “It’s a Test match, there’s a lot at stake, we haven’t won against them for a number of years – no doubt there’ll be some niggle.”

For England, this trip north feels like a game of paramount importance. It is four years since they last swigged the sips of success from the old silver chalice, and seven since they put on a performance to be proud of in this fixture. The middle weekend is the natural Six Nations pivot point but England’s path from here will be significantly rockier if their rough recent run does not end. Win and they’ll carry momentum through to a demanding two-week coda in which performances may matter more than results; lose and another two-win tournament may well beckon with fixtures against Ireland and France to come.

Mike Jones24 February 2024 10:17

1708769160

More from Jamie George on the death of his mother

“Taking time off is the last thing she would have wanted me to do,” said George. “It’s not what I wanted to do. I feel very privileged to do what I do and hopefully the boys will agree that I’ve been able to fulfil my role as captain and fulfil my role as a player in this team.

“It’s not an ideal situation to be in, but there was never any doubt in my mind that I wanted to be involved in this game. Wherever she is now, she will be looking down telling everyone that is there that her son is the England captain. I know for a fact that meant a huge amount to her.

“Whenever I’ve played, I’ve always wanted to make my family proud. It’s been a huge driver for me. That won’t change this weekend – it will probably be enhanced this weekend. It will be emotional for me coming out. It will be the first game that she won’t be there. She wasn’t able to come to the first two games to watch, which has been tough in itself, but before that she was always there, she never missed it. My dad, my uncle, my cousin and both brothers are coming up this weekend. It’s going to be great for them to be able to be there. It’s amazing what rugby can do in situations like this.

“When I first became captain, I spoke a lot about showing how much it means to play for England and what an amazing impact you can have on people’s lives. I have seen it first-hand because my mum was on her deathbed talking about the England rugby team and how proud she was of me being able to do what I do.

“That’s absolutely incredible. She will be with me in some capacity on Saturday and that means a huge amount to me.”

Mike Jones24 February 2024 10:06